Frikipedia Betting Curse
Paranormal occurence caused by Frikipedia making a bet on a sporting event.
Usually, whatever person or team Friki bets on, no matter how odds on or brilliant they are, always manages to lose spectacularly.
Recent recipients of the curse:
- The Chin. Friki put an each way bet on him to finish 1st or 2nd in the 2005 F1 championship. For the 4 years prior to this he had wrapped up the title by mid season. However, in 2005, he was spectacularly bubbish and finished nowhere.
- Ronnie O'Sullivan. Used to dominate the game. Since Friki bet on him once, he now tends to go mad and capitulate at the quarter final stage of most tournaments.
- Australia. During the 2nd test of the 2005 Ashes, Australia were heading for an unlikely win, with only 2 wickets remaining they were nearing the required total. In a panic, Friki decided to use it's powers for goo and put a bet on Australia to win. Within seconds of Friki placing the bet online, Australia's 9th wicket fell and the end was nigh.
- Lots of football teams. In 2004, Friki put an accumulator on a weekend of Division Two games in the English league. Effectively, they bet on every favourite to win their game and stood to win over £20,000 for a bet of a quid. Oddly, every single favourite lost.
- Whichever horse Friki bets on for the Grand National tends to fall at the first fence, break its legs and get put down. Although Friki's most recent bet in this area was on a horse called 'Izznogood', which, at 200-to-1, failed even to get a mention in the television coverage of the event. We assume it is still racing. Perhaps Friki only has itself to blame for the failure of this particular bet.
On March 28th 2007, Friki placed a 13-way accumulator in a series of European Championship qualifying games, all on massive favourites (incuding the Czech Republic to beat Luxembourg which, at 50/1 ON must be the shortest odds for any sporting event ever).
Friki has probably just cursed a fair few countries chances of winning, but stands to win £50 from a fairly meagre bet.
Update on the Update
Thanks to an unlikely Albanian win or something, Friki didn't win.
Friki Update II - Wimbledon Special
Excitingly, Friki has recently placed a 15 way accumulator on the first round at Wimbledon, and for a fiver spent, stands to make a cool £150 by betting cumulatively on a load of supposed "dead certs".
Currently, as of 4.30pm on the 26th of June, 5 games have gone in Friki's favour, a further 3 are all but won, and the remaining 7 are yet to begin.
Could this be the day when the Frikipedia betting curse is finally broken? Probably not, but it's keeping Friki entertained as it simultaneously mashes refresh on the Live Scores page and tries to guess which top seed is about to collapse and fail anyway...